The Intubation Box is an inexpensive and reusable protective device originally designed by Dr Hsien Yung Lai in Taiwan, to protect healthcare providers when intubating Covid-19 patients.
We, ER doctors and designers, have taken his gracious design and altered it for the American body habitus.
The Intubation Box works by sitting over the head and shoulders of a Covid-19 patient as they are intubated by a healthcare provider. The acrylic box acts as a protective shield between the patient and medical provider, with the intent of reducing the healthcare provider’s exposure to Coronavirus (COVID-19).
After each intubation, the box can be cleaned with a bleach or alcohol solution. Ie. Sani-Cloth wipes.
Thank you and stay safe!
– Benjamin Reeser MD and the Intubation Box team!
- Canelli, R., Connor, C. W., Gonzalez, M., Nozari, A. & Ortega, R. Barrier Enclosure during Endotracheal Intubation. N. Engl. J. Med. (2020) doi:10.1056/NEJMc2007589
- Nissim L, Reeser B. Medical image of the month: an “intubation box” to protect healthcare professionals. Southwest J Pulm Crit Care. 2020;20(5):173-4. doi: https://doi.org/10.13175/swjpcc030-20 PDF
- Brewster, D. J. et al. Consensus statement: Safe Airway Society principles of airway management and tracheal intubation specific to the COVID-19 adult patient group. Med. J. Aust. 212, 1 (2020)
Make Your Own Intubation Box
This website aims to provide everyone information to make as many Intubation Boxes as possible. We are doing our very best to produce intubation boxes daily, but more help means more resources for hospitals across the country. Please visit the Make Your Own section to download the design, material list, and instructions on how to assemble. Your local signage, furniture, fabrication shop should be able to take the plan and make them.
Request An Intubation Box
If you are a healthcare provider and are not able to find someone local to fabricate a box, you can a submit request here. Please be aware that these boxes are being distributed free of charge thanks to charitable donations and supplies are limited.
Each box costs approximately $160 USD (material, fabrication, labor, and shipping). You can help us get more of these boxes into hospitals by making a donation today. Every bit helps the fight against Covid-19 and supports the healthcare workers on the front lines.
Intubation Boxes Delivered to Hospitals
We have delivered multiple boxes to local hospitals in Arizona. Additionally units started shipping country wide on 3/31. Click here to see a full list of hospitals that have received donated Intubation Boxes. The list is updated every few days.
If you would like to help us in this effort, please donate:
Please bear with us as this is a work in progress and we are trying to build a plane while flying it. If you have questions please use this form to contact us. To request an intubation box, please fill out a Request Form to help us streamline our workflow.
Special thank you to:
- Tuft & Needle who built and donated over 60 Intubation Boxes to Phoenix local hospitals!
- Flex Seal who donated material and funds to cover 125 boxes!
- Dr Brandon Lawrence for joining the Intubation Box team early on and all his help!
ABC15 Arizona was gracious enough to cover us in a news article. Big thanks to them for the exposure!
This is a NON FDA approved device. This is for use by medical professionals only and at your own risk.
The Intubation Box has been created due to the COVID-19 pandemic with best practices in mind. This design is based off of Dr Yung-Lai’s Aerosol Box and is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License
This not for profit effort is being ran by the medical nonprofit Anodyne International.